One of the many outreach ministries Transfiguration parishioners is RAIHN (Rochester Area Interfaith Housing Network). RAIHN is a group of 45 community groups, primarily religious congregations which provide housing to homeless families. The housing is providing on a rotating weekly basis by 13 host congregations, supported by another 28 congregations and there are an additional 4 “friend” congregations who support the effort to the degree they are able. We are involved as a support congregation and assist 2 weeks a year and we assist a host parish in East Rochester.
Housing and self-sufficiency are the goals of RAIHN, which are strived for, and accomplished, through the combined effort of volunteers, staff, Board Members, congregations and donors. Obviously all of this done by a commitment of those who use the services to work toward self -sufficiency.
Recently RAIHN held their annual luncheon for congregational leaders to report the 2016 outcomes. I was impressed with the report, here are some of the numbers:
- 33 families or 104 individuals were served, 60 of whom were children.
- 85% of the families graduated into permanent housing
- The average length of stay in RAIHN housing was 38 days, down from 42 in 2015.
- RAIHN Aftercare program provides assistance for up to a year, 25 families were served in 2016.
- 89% of the 2015 families were still in their permanent home at the end of 2016
- 18 Life Sills Presentations were offered by 10 community organization to RAIHN’s guests.
- RAIHN began in 2004 and has served 390 families and 1,223 individuals, including 715 children.
- In 2016, volunteers provided 16,000 hours of service; there are over 1700 active volunteers
Transfiguration has a highly committed, but limited number of volunteers for RAIHN. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Margie Benza or me for details. At present we are responsible for meals and early evening coverage of the overnight site 3 weeks a year.
Please continue to enjoy the summer and pray for the success of Vacation Bible School this coming week; stop by and join in the fun.
Let us continue to pray for peace and for the end of terrorism in our world!
In peace and courage,