I would like to share with you the status of ongoing activities related to our parish 3-5 Year Plan. I shared this information at all Masses because this project is very important as we walk into the future and I want to ensure this gets the broadest communication as possible. With Mass attendance around 700+ parishioners and several hundred reading our Bulletin online, we have a good start in communicating the plan.
First, let me thank all of you that have provided input to your 3-5 year plan. This is Your Plan! Because of the breath of activities involved I will be doing this over next 3 weeks because this level of detail cannot be shared in just a few minutes. So this is Part 1 of a 3 Part Information Sharing.
I begin with a little background. Why do a 3- 5 Year Plan?
- Primarily, for the health of the parish – to keep us vital and to inspire the next generation to be more involved and take increasing ownership of the parish.
- To prepare for the change of leadership expected sometime in the next 1-3 years.
To assist in this process we engaged the support of LPI. LPI offers a full slate of offerings to assist churches to be vibrant parishes and offers consulting services in this area of planning.
You may recall, our initial Step was a Parish On Line Assessment. This is what I want to focus on today as Part 1. We had a very good response of almost 400 of you completing the On Line Assessment. LPI indicated was fantastic and statically valid data for interpreting the results. We had 30 questions, which would take a great deal of time to review all, so I would like to cover the high points.
First, positive responses to three questions:
- Am I fed spiritual fed at the parish? 28% All the time, 61% most of the time, 8% seldom, 0% never and 3% do not know.
- Do I see the parish as mine or theirs? 83% mine and 17% theirs.
- Do I believe that the parish is on the right track? 16% All the time, 72% Most of the time, 6% Seldom and 6% Not sure.
Second, challenges we are facing.
- Have I attended a parish function outside of Mass in the last 4 months? 14% Yes, 5 or more events, 29% Yes, 2 or more events, 17% Yes, once, 39% No and 1% Not sure.
- Have I been personally called on by parish leadership to give of myself? 17% All the time, 41% Most of the time, 26% Seldom, 14% Never and 2% Not sure.
LPI tells us we should feel very good about these survey results, they all indicate we are doing something right in living out what we should be all about as a parish. The opportunities raised do reflect some realistic challenges but our positive response percentages are much better that parish of equal size and demographic.
Our long-term planning story will continue over the weeks.
Let us continue to pray and sacrifice for peace in our world!
In peace and courage,
To access the slide presentation that accompanied my talk, please click HERE.